Fire Jim Tracy

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Maybe I'm Just Dull...

Rod Beaton wrote this in USA Today. I don't understand it.

Regarding Ross Porter, I'm told he was not all victim. The Dodgers had enough of Vin Scully forced to work without a helper in the booth. One broadcaster the team has added, Charley Steiner, is a good, funny and astute guy. Steve Lyons is also part of the team.

Somebody has to explain to me the bolded sentence. I can't find any way, knowing what little I know about Vin Scully (works alone, parts of games, etc.), that this makes sense.

I do like the effusive praise of Steiner juxtaposed with the sentence "Steve Lyons is also part of the team."

1 Comments:

  • The sentence would suggest that Scully will be working with a "helper" (presumably a color commentator) in the booth. Of course, we all know this isn't true and I suspect Rod knows it's not true. Given that, what Rod could be talking about here, God knows.

    Equally inscrutable is the opening sentence. Ross Porter was not all victim--what on earth could that mean?

    See, it's sad that we need to do this. It's sad a self-respecting editor didn't catch this and it's sad that Beaton, if called on it, couldn't possibly explain what he's writing about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2005 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home