Fire Jim Tracy

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Huh?

Desperate to write about anything but the Dodgers, Bill Plaschke tackles the Troy Glaus issue. What Troy Glaus issue you might ask? The one where Troy Glaus lives up to his four year contract in the first two weeks of it. Well, I know enough about baseball to know that Plaschke is climbing up the stupid tree again. But knowing what little I do about the Angels, except for Tim Brown has little posters of Garrett Anderson and Adam Kennedy hanging in his office, I haven't decided whether to give it the full treatment. Perhaps one of the Angel sites around can do it better.

UPDATE: Yes, Dr. Plaschke was in on May 19, 2004 and had this to say: (Hat tip: Suffering Bruin)

"Which is why it was so odd Tuesday to see another corner of the Angel clubhouse empty.

It was the one belonging to Troy Glaus, who has decided he can no longer do the one thing that has marked this team like a bright red "A."

He could no longer play in pain.

Glaus has decided to essentially forgo the season and undergo right shoulder surgery requiring at least four months of recovery, a move that has flattened hopes and raised eyebrows.

Is the shoulder suddenly that bad? And does it have to be fixed now?"

UPDATE: I've changed my mind. School is out, Plaschke-fisking should not be left to the amateurs, and if one guy can write a lot about something he knows nothing about, why can't I? Fisking shall commence shortly.

UPDATE: Chuck E. Cheese took longer than I thought. You know the Plaschke article is stupid; I'll have to stick to his Dodger writing.

5 Comments:

  • I'll have to do some research but I am 90% sure that Plaschke wrote an article last year that Glaus was quitting on the Angels last year. Something do with his injury.

    Now, of course, he's the guy the Angels should never have let go.

    By Blogger Mr. Landon, at 4/20/2005 08:36:00 AM  

  • I once e-mailed Bill Dwyre telling him that Plaschke seriously needed to go. I said that he made me not want to read the LA Times sports section, and that other people felt the same way.

    I'm not just having fun with Plaschke; he's honestly ridiculous and insulting to my intelligence. Can you please coordinate a mass appeal to Dwyre to get rid of the guy or at least make him stop writing about the Dodgers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2005 10:12:00 AM  

  • 3B, indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2005 10:36:00 AM  

  • Glaus' splits for the last three years, compared to two other third baseman making similar money.

    Glaus: 1280 Appearances .249/.342/.479 OPS of .821

    Eric Chavez: 1884 Appearances .278/.361/.510 OPS of .871

    Aramis Ramirez: 1846 Appearances .275/.315/.477 OPS of .791

    While Glaus does at least seem to compare favorably to Aramis Ramirez, consider two things:

    Ramirez was positively awful in 2002, and has been quickly trending upwards since then.

    Glaus has about 600 less plate appearances in the last three years.

    The last time Glaus had a full season, he hit 30 home runs, he hit 16 and 11 the following years. Glaus is simply to much of an injury risk for the Angels to have paid him at least 40 million dollars.

    By Anonymous regfairfield, at 4/20/2005 11:08:00 AM  

  • God, what a pathetic article. I didn't know whether to laugh or repeatedly slam my head into my desk when I read this part:

    "Two.

    And their number of errors.

    Four of the team's seven."

    Is he using those refrigerator poetry magnets to compose his "sentences," or does he actually think this qualifies as professional journalism?

    By Anonymous Vic, at 4/20/2005 05:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home