Fire Jim Tracy

Monday, April 11, 2005

A Meta-Bleg

As I knew it would, Dodger Hill's post (and 6-4-2's drop down menu) opened up the huge, gaping sore between me and Jerry regarding this website. Jerry thinks the name scares people away; I am bull-headed enough (if you can believe it, regular readers) not to care even if it does. But this comes in the midst, now, of a further discussion about taking this blog out of the 18th Century now, and possibly into at least the 1990's, which requires a domain name change anyway. Though I resist change, others around me have ominous plans for world domination, and I suppose this web-site is the first step.

So if the name is going to change, it's going to change now (or soon, at least). And I have been outvoted by Jerry one to one. But of course Mr. Whiny McNamechanger has no idea what he actually wants to call the site. So I'm hoping someone else out there, who might be a regular reader and knows what we're up to here (Jerry = game analysis and optimism; Steve = vicious and savage critic), might have an idea from the outside. Remember, Dodger Thoughts is already taken. The prize for the winning entry is our undying gratitude and a promise not to hound you if you become a sportswriter for the Los Angeles Times (God forbid).

UPDATE: Jerry, trying desperately to get me out of my Tracy and Plaschke wars (though I'm not sure what I would do here without them), suggests "The Bluebook," a play on our Law School backgrounds (The Bluebook being the citation book for scholarly law articles). Thoughts?

9 Comments:

  • um, fire Paul Depodesta? Seems like one that most people would get behind... I'd do it myself if I didn't have so much on the plate as it were.

    By Blogger Unserious Talker, at 4/12/2005 01:37:00 AM  

  • What about "Dr. Jekyll and Milton Bradley"?

    What about "Across the Vincent Thomas Bridge?" (With its two shades of blue lights visible at night.)

    By Anonymous dzzrtRatt, at 4/12/2005 05:40:00 AM  

  • "L.A. Times Job Application" or "Bill Plaschke, We Love You"
    "Dodgers From Above"
    "Dodger Conundrum" or "Dodger Enigma"
    "Hit and Miss Dodgers"
    "Dodger Dogs" or "Dodger Stew"
    "Dodgers On Parade"
    "Dodger Cops" (good and bad)

    By Anonymous Ben H., at 4/12/2005 08:40:00 AM  

  • I came up with "Dodgers Indeed" in the middle of the night. Big fan of "Dr. Jekyll and Milton Bradley," but how would you make a URL out of it?

    By Blogger Steve, at 4/12/2005 09:10:00 AM  

  • Dodgers Indeed must be the winner. Whatever the prize is, give it to yourself.

    By Blogger Mr. Landon, at 4/12/2005 09:36:00 AM  

  • i do like "dodgers, indeed"

    but i'll come up with a few others anyway:

    *dodger depo(t)
    *bullet dodgers [point-by-point or shot-by-shot]
    *the bum report [might be too proctological-sounding]
    *the dodger critique
    *dodger dialogues
    *dodger discourse

    and going off the "dodger cops" idea, which i like because it fits your two personalities kinda:
    *good cop, dodger cop
    *dodger cop moustache

    -vishal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/12/2005 10:09:00 AM  

  • Hey, I thought of another one: "Dodger Math".

    People are going to wonder why you call it that, right? You, Steve, can give them an earful while Jerry can say it's because he's the analytical type.

    Works in the Plaschkers, works in the analysis... I still like Dodgers Indeed better but I submit my idea humbly, for your consideration.

    By Blogger Mr. Landon, at 4/12/2005 11:51:00 AM  

  • My little jape was certainly intended as a gentle poke and not in any way meant to be a serious jab. Apologies if anyone here was offended.

    By Blogger Rob, at 4/12/2005 12:30:00 PM  

  • No, no Rob. Jerry's been on my back since this thing started to change the name. He brings it up about once every 48 hours. He thinks it scares people. Given what I dish out, I try extry hard not to take offense, but your drop-down list was the funniest thing I've seen in two weeks anyway. And we are getting our own domain, so if we are going to change the name, we have to decide to do it now, etc., etc. So jape away!

    By Blogger Steve, at 4/12/2005 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home