Fire Jim Tracy

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Things I Was Wrong About

The latest in a not-too-often feature, covering things I was wrong about.

1) The Diamondbacks. If their bullpen holds up, they will clearly compete in the NL West, particularly with the Giants melting down, the Padres taking hitting lessons from Tom Goodwin, and the Dodgers playing Johnny Need A Manager. Mind you, I'm not making predictions (all right, I'll make one -- the Giants are what I thought the D-Backs would be), but I would lean toward me eating all those cracks about Chapter 13, and instead contemplating yet another manifestation of Bill Simmons's "Patrick Ewing" theory. Though with the Saenz/Choi platoon out-hitting Shawn Green, I'm still not quite sure what all that hubbub was about. I wouldn't boo him, true. But whatever ails us certainly has nothing to do with that.

Thank you.

4 Comments:

  • after his home run on tuesday night, sgreen took off his effing batting gloves and gave 'em to some kid wearing a dodger jersey in the rich folks' seats. MEMO TO GREEN: This ain't your house anymore, and we don't want your stinkin' batting gloves. MEMO TO THE KID: Next time, throw 'em back. Get with it, moron.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/28/2005 10:45:00 AM  

  • You weren't wrong, the D'backs aren't going to last, I don't think. Seems they've been lucky this year so far, being 14-8 or whatever their record is, they've only scored 90 runs and given up 95. That's a big discrepancy. That's also called luck.

    I predict by the end of May, we won't be hearing much about them anymore.

    By Anonymous Tim, at 4/28/2005 11:34:00 AM  

  • borderingontheedgeofsanity.com is right. If Tracy has another week like this, my head is going to explode, and I'll probably be favoring the Cubs to win the NL Central.

    By Blogger Steve, at 4/28/2005 11:37:00 AM  

  • Anon -- That was Green showing respect to fans of the team whose uniform he would have preferred to continue wearing. Grow up.

    The Snakes are here and for real. Their bullpen will hold up; I recall a number of games last year when their bullpen crushed the Dodgers. They'll do it again this year. That said -- watch for Glaus to go into a slump in June (he does it every single year), and Green/Gonzales to go into one or more extended slumps.

    By Blogger Rob, at 4/28/2005 08:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home