Fire Jim Tracy

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Why, Cruel Baseball Gods, Why?

I stand at the threshold of Law School completion, three and one half hours from my final final and the beginning of, at least, a two week vacation before Bar studying. So what's my reward? A Dodger day game -- before my final starts. Aarrggh. Distractions. I mean finals, that is.

Not to mention this Pope thing.

UPDATE: Fox News analyst tells us that the Cardinals had their "game faces" on. So it's not only ESPN.

UPDATE 2: Yes. The Baseball Gods are cruel. They denied me the joy of another fantastic comeback. Yet I will bear all burdens as long...as...this...keeps...happening. Those who have kept faith and not fallen are being richly rewarded.

UPDATE 3: By the way, since this site is nominally still "Fire Jim Tracy," I point out that Tracy hit and run with Jose Valentin at the plate with a full count and nobody out with Bradley on first. Valentin, predictably, swung and struck out, with Bradley thrown out by about fifteen feet. Valentin does two things better than anything else; strike out and hit home runs -- neither involves making contact and advancing a runner. But this team is so much fun this year, I hardly care any more.

2 Comments:

  • crikey...i do this every time. Kent hits into a DP to end the 8th, Dodgers down 6-5. It's my lunch break...need to go for a run as I figure they can't come back AGAIN! Well, i come back and they've come back...Holy Cow, reading the play by play it sounds like Izturis was completely clutch...and Milton...well, he's all game. I guess Baseball Toaster couldn't handle the load as Weisman's blog must have been overloaded. rgds, will

    By Blogger walbers, at 4/19/2005 02:42:00 PM  

  • Not that this has anything to do with the decision to hit and run with Valentin, but he does one thing better than anybody else...he sees a lot of pitches. He's leading the majors this year in pitches per plate appearance. Last year he was a top 20 P/PA guy. In 2003, he was the leading shortstop in MLB in terms of P/PA. It's absolutely amazing that he could have had such a low OBP during those years. But he works pitching staffs, and that's why depo got him, IMO.

    By Blogger timely2base, at 4/21/2005 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home